Saturday, August 30, 2014

Reading & Drinking Suggestions



I love Manhattans but I always pause before I order one out. There are so many variations of this drink and it can be hard to pin down one you like. My go to recipe is Formula #1 from David Wondrich's 2007 book "Imbibe!". If you have not read it I suggest you do. David does a great job providing historical reference and tips for each drink, all with a good deal of humor. One very valuable tip that Wondrich provides is to make sure the whiskey you use is at least 100 proof. It makes a world of difference with this recipe.


Jon's Favorite Manhattan: Adapted from "Formula #1", Imbibe!

1 1/2 oz Bakers bourbon 107 proof
1 1/2 oz Martini and Rossi RossoVermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1/2 tsp simple syrup 1:1

Fill glass 3/4 full of fine shaved ice, mix well with spoon, strain into coupe and serve with lemon twist.




No comments:

Post a Comment